Friday, June 19, 2009

Scary Swimming Adventure!

Today was the first day that I deemed it warm enough to swim outside. As you know, I am not a fan of cold, or water, or swimming suits but I braved it and the boys and I went swimming with some buddies.
We went to a pool that we'd never been to before but I looked around the play/baby pool area and saw that the deepest part was 3 feet. Perfect! Everyone could touch! So I stood on the edge of the pool (in my shorts and t-shirt) with my friend and watched as the kids excitedly jumped in the shallow water. I don't know about you but I like to watch from the side when the kids are in a shallow pool so I can see everyone at the same time. Mostly I watched Eli because, as I've talked about before, that little buddy thinks he can swim but he's just not there yet. Suddenly, I saw Eli in the middle of the pool bobbing up and down. He couldn't touch the bottom and he was going under and my friend was saying, "Can he touch there?" I jumped in the pool and ran/swam as fast as I could to him slipping on the bottom all the way there. It felt like a scary dream...like I was running in slow motion. When I grabbed him and pulled him out of the pool he was gasping and choking. He was so scared and so was I. Turns out that it's 3 feet at the edge of the pool but several inches deeper than that in the middle.
After both of us calmed down a little and I got out of my dripping wet shorts and t-shirt, we got back in (together this time!) and had a great time. We worked on floating on our backs when we realize we're in too deep. He doesn't have it yet and I sure won't be letting my sweet boy out of my sight or in a pool by himself for a long, long time!

1 comment:

Kim McGee said...

I am so glad he got right back in!