Saturday, February 28, 2009

Love languages...

So the question at dinner tonight was...how do you know someone loves you? I thought I'd see if it would give me some insight into the amigos' love languages. Steve and I had our theories, of course, about how each of our kids receives love the best but I wanted to see what the kids themselves thought.
I started with Grace who said, "I know because they snuggle and smooch me a lot. I mean A LOT! And also kids at school don't smooch me because that would be so weird but, like, my friend Jackie hangs on my backpack and is always touching me so she really likes me A LOT! Also, I know Mommy and Daddy love me because they are hard workers and paint my room and help me clean up and cook and clean and stuff." Interesting...Grace isn't the cuddliest of our kids. She's not one to just come sit on your lap (at least not very often) nor is she one to shower you with kisses. So we guessed that physical touch was not her favorite love language. Of course after her answer I asked her if she liked it when Jackie hung on her and she said, "Not really...but I know she really loves me." And then I asked her if she likes lots of hugs and kisses and she said, "Um....sometimes..." She's still an enigma to me. My guesses are still quality time and words of affirmation.
Eli said, "I know Mommy loves me because she snuggles me and gives me smooches." Now that one we could have guessed. That Eli needs a lot of physical affection...and we're happy to give it to him. I think he would like me to wear him as a coat if I could! I don't know how much of that comes from the way his life began or if his little heart just was born with a high need for physical touch. Either way, we're happy to fill his little love bucket as often as he needs it filled!
Noah said, "I know Mommy and Daddy love me because they play with me and they snuggle me. But I don't like kisses so much as hugs. And they give me presents for my birthday!" Yep, could have guessed those, too...and probably that's the right order for him.
Interestingly, the way Eli gives love is by helping...he helps Grace clean her disaster of a room, he helps me do the laundry, he helps Steve organize the basement...he is a helper guy. Noah rubs our backs and says very nice things to us. My favorite so far has been one day when I was dressed up for something and he said, "Wow! Mommy, you look beautiful. (pause for thinking) But you look beautiful everyday." (I know, makes your heart melt, doesn't it?) And Grace also shows love by words of encouragement and affirmation.
It's a happy challenge to love them the way they need to be loved.

No comments: