Thursday, April 16, 2009

You've Got Talent...

I don't know how many of you have watched Susan Boyle sing I Dreamed a Dream on YouTube but if you have not...DO IT!
Here's the link if you haven't seen it...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY.
Today, when I watched it for the first time, it had more than 12 million views. I watched it with tears in my eyes and then immediately watched it again...once was not enough. Why do you think 12 million plus of us are drawn to watching Susan sing?
Could it be that we each have the hope that there is something secret inside us that is valuable? Could it be that we dream that we've been gifted in something in such a way that it would make people stop and take notice? That we hope that the real could be much more important, much more beautiful, much more valuable than the reconstructed, the repositioned, the skin-deep beauty that greets us from billboards, television shows and magazines over and over again. I think it could be, friends. I think you are gifted in that way. I think God has something in you that the rest of us severely need. And I think that in fear, we all hide that very thing away. Afraid it wouldn't be enough. We allow the jeers of the crowd and their contemptuous glances at us to paralyze us and keep that something hidden. What if we, like Susan Boyle, stand up in all of our human glory with our scary flaws that petrify us and go ahead and share with gusto whatever it is we've got? I can't imagine anything that would make God smile more than that!

No comments: